Pets as Therapy is run entirely by volunteers. We are committed to enriching the lives of people who are residents or patients at a variety of organisations and facilities in and around the Western Cape and further afield. We achieve this through friendly, regular and controlled visits by accredited volunteers and their animal companions.
Through the Lees – Ukufunda – Read program we aim to improve the reading skills of children through the use of registered reading teams.
Keep up to date with News & Events at Pets as Therapy:
- Apply to take part in the next READ workshop on 29 October 2016 - full details and application form are available to read and download here.
- Support PAT's very own Lou-May Immelman as she trains to walk the Tankwa-Camino trail in April 2017 to raise funds for PAT. Read more here.
- Anna, PAT dog owned by PAT Chair Dr Marieanna le Roux features on Regal Health's website - read her full story here.
Pets as Therapy and it's associated programme Lees-Ukufunda-READ frequently appear in the media and on television. Various articles and you tube links can be found below.
Karen Steenkamp, PAT area coordinator for Polokwane, along with Sweetpea and Shakira, made in appearance in the local paper in July - see here for the full article.
Sherri Farinha and Heidi Vollmer appeared on SABC's Expresso programme on 24 February 2015 - the PAT segment can be viewed here.
2013/2014 has seen PAT mentioned frequently in the media.
- "Be amazed at the Amazing Wine Race", Die Tygerberger, 16 July 2014
- We have again featured in Animal Talk - see the article "Therapy Dogs Touch lives", June 2014, here.
- Don't miss the coverage that has been given to the Lees-Ukufunda-Read programme either - have a look here for further articles and youtube videos.
Read all about Sebastian, Andi and Andrew Chandler's ginger cat who visits Noordhoek Manor - "Share the Love: Does your cat have what it takes to be a therapy cat?" Animal Talk, November 2013, p 30 - 31
PAT recently collaborated with Dell and visited Panorama Palms in Durbanville in commemoration of the The Week of the Older Person - the full article that appeared in Tygerburger is available here.
TV & Social Media
The READ programme is frequently mentioned in the press and has recently been highlighted on Kyknet's Woef & Kie and on SABC 3's Expresso Show (8 May 2014).
Watch the Expresso Show's YouTube video here.
Read some of the articles below (links open in a new window)
· "Beste vriend nou ook beste 'leesmeester'", Die Burger, 13 May 2011
· "Woef help nou met leeswerk", Die Burger, 9 June 2012
· "Honde help kinders lees", Die Burger, 25 March 2013
· "Honde help kinders om baie beter to lees", Die Beeld, 23 March 2013
· "Kinders wat vir honde lees, vaar beter", Die Volksblad, 26 March 2013
· Woef en Kie (to be added)